Art is about paying attention ... Laurie Anderson
Binna Kim’s stimulating artwork represent a mixture of nature's scenery and her vivid imagination.
Her close attention to detail is meant to bring us to a different space where we can observe nature up close and take a moment to be at peace with ourselves.
From walking down on a city street, taking a trip in the woods or watching the waves on a beach,
Binna aims to capture nature in many different forms through her imagination and her eye for the infinite beauty that nature has to offer.
Binna's main medium for drawings is pencils. She feels that pencils are wonderful in terms of showing intricate details while imparting an overall softness in drawings.
For paintings, she uses water-based mediums such as Acrylic paints and ink.
Binna’s Serenity series was created to take us on a journey to the ocean. Water is an element that evokes different feelings such as serenity and raging, unchecked power. The ocean can also be considered as a giant body that may not be governed or controlled in any way. Audience who view this series can witness the many different forms that the ocean can have and relate this experience to their own lives.
Universe in a leaf series of paintings on paper and canvas demonstrates Binna's strong bond with nature and her curiosity about many of its elements.
As a floral and a window display designer, she has been surrounded by beautiful flowers and natural materials.
While most people pay attention to only flowers and their beauty, Binna takes notice of leaves as well, which are equally as captivating as flowers.
In Universe in a leaf, Binna uses vibrant colors and geometric forms, enjoying where her keen eye for detail, her artistic curiosity and vivid imagination lead to.
Selected Group Exhibition
- 2019 Spatial Transformations at Studio Anise in Soho, NYC
-2019 Winter Group Shows Part 2 at Onishi Gallery in Chelsea, NYC
- 2018 Off The Wall at Plaxall Gallery in Long Island City, NY
- 2018 ARTIF ACTS at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2018 Benefit Auction at The Drawing Center, NYC
- 2018 Eternal Summer at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2018 Transformation at One Art Space in Tribeca, NYC
- 2018 Drawing 2017, an exhibition of 20 international artists / Gallery 25N
- 2017 Making connections / The Plaxall Gallery / Long Island City , NY
Making Connections ll / The City Deford Gallery / Long Island City , NY
Selected Online group exhibition
- 2017 9th Artslant Prize Winner of Drawing category
- IGOA gallery, Theme "Animal&wildlife"
- Projekt 30 May and July Monthly Exhibition
- Bauhausprairie art gallery (www.bauhausprairieartgallery.com)
Theme "Abstract" and "Artist's favorite work"
- Honorable Mentions / IGOA (www.international-gallery.org) Art-open "No Theme"
- Projekt 30 October and November Monthly Exhibition